Notícia

Linha do tempo de James I da Escócia

Linha do tempo de James I da Escócia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Escócia desconhecida

Junho de 1551: a Inglaterra concorda em encerrar as hostilidades com a Escócia depois de uma retirada anterior de suas forças em 1549. O custo do cortejo violento & # 34 desde 1544, mais de meio milhão de libras, quebrou o tesouro inglês.

1552: A Sociedade de St Andrews é formada para promover o jogo de golfe na cidade. Tornou-se conhecido a partir de 1754 como St Andrews Society of Golfers: e ainda mais tarde como Royal and Ancient Golf Club.

24 de abril de 1558: Maria, rainha da Escócia, de quinze anos, casa-se com Françoise, Delfim da França, de quatorze anos, em Paris. O casamento é acompanhado por um acordo que unificará as coroas da Escócia e da França, se houver filhos do casamento, e entregará a coroa da Escócia à França, se não houver.

Novembro de 1558: a rainha Elizabeth obtém a coroa da Inglaterra. O casamento dos pais dela segue o divórcio anterior de Henrique VIII, então, na opinião da Igreja Católica, Elizabeth é ilegítima. Portanto, aos olhos dos católicos, especialmente na Escócia e na França, Mary Queen of Scots é a legítima pretendente à coroa inglesa.

11 de maio de 1559: John Knox prega um sermão em Perth, iniciando um grande levante protestante que se espalha rapidamente pelo centro da Escócia.

29 de junho de 1559: John Knox prega um sermão em St Giles & # 39 em Edimburgo que pode ser considerado o verdadeiro ponto de partida da Reforma da Igreja na Escócia.

10 de julho de 1559: Francisco, marido de Maria, rainha dos escoceses, torna-se rei Francisco II da França.

27 de fevereiro de 1560: O Tratado de Berwick é concluído em Berwick-upon-Tweed. É um acordo feito entre os ingleses e o grupo de nobres protestantes escoceses conhecidos como Senhores da Congregação para buscar a remoção da Escócia das tropas francesas que defendem a regência de Marie de Guise.

11 de junho de 1560: A morte no Castelo de Edimburgo de Marie de Guise, Regente da Escócia e mãe de Maria, Rainha dos Escoceses.

5 de julho de 1560: O Tratado de Edimburgo é acordado entre a Inglaterra e a França, pondo fim ao cerco pelas tropas inglesas às forças francesas que ocupavam Leith.

Agosto de 1560: O Parlamento escocês proíbe a prática da missa em latim na Escócia e nega a autoridade do Papa, implementando a Reforma em toda a Escócia.

5 de dezembro de 1560: o rei Francisco II da França, marido de Maria, rainha dos escoceses, morre de uma orelha infectada e é sucedido por seu irmão, Carlos IX da França.

19 de agosto de 1561: Maria Rainha da Escócia, com 18 anos e agora viúva, está cada vez mais isolada na França e tem pouca escolha a não ser aceitar um convite para retornar à agora Protestante Escócia como Rainha.

4 de setembro de 1561: Mary Queen of Scots encontra John Knox no Palácio de Holyroodhouse para tentar resolver as diferenças religiosas entre eles. A reunião falha e Maria não ratifica nem revoga os Atos Protestantes aprovados pelo Parlamento.

28 de outubro de 1562: Mary Queen of Scots e seu meio-irmão James Stewart, 1º Conde de Moray, derrotam George, o 4º Conde de Huntly na Batalha de Corrichie, perto de Aberdeen, para restringir sua ambição e avaliar as preocupações protestantes na Escócia. Ela vai demitir Huntly Castle.

29 de julho de 1565: Maria, rainha da Escócia, casa-se com seu primo Lord Darnley em um casamento católico.

26 de agosto de 1565: Mary Queen of Scots lidera um exército para fora de Edimburgo para reprimir uma rebelião liderada por seu meio-irmão James Stewart, 1º Conde de Moray, que se opõe ao seu casamento. Ela coloca a rebelião em fuga no que ficou conhecido como Chaseabout Raid.

9 de março de 1566: Mary Queen of Scots & # 39 secretário particular, David Rizzio, é assassinado na frente dela no Palácio de Holyroodhouse por um grupo incluindo seu marido Lord Darnley. A tentativa de golpe que se segue falha quando Darnley pensa duas vezes e ajuda Mary a escapar para Dunbar.

18 de março de 1566: Mary Queen of Scots retorna a Edimburgo com um exército fornecido pelo Conde de Bothwell e os responsáveis ​​pelo assassinato de seu secretário particular David Rizzio fogem, muitos sendo posteriormente exilados.

19 de junho de 1566: Mary dá à luz um filho, Charles James, no Castelo de Edimburgo.

7 de dezembro de 1566: Mary Queen of Scots deixa Craigmillar Castle após um grupo de seus conselheiros concordar com o Craigmillar Bond, um acordo para a eliminação de Lord Darnley, que agora todos, incluindo Mary, sabem ser totalmente inadequado como marido. Os envolvidos incluem The Earls of Argyll, Huntly e Bothwell, Sir James Balfour e William Maitland de Lethington.

17 de dezembro de 1566: O futuro James VI / I é batizado no Castelo de Stirling. Lord Darnley se recusa a comparecer.

10 de fevereiro de 1567: Lord Darnley, agora doente com sífilis, é assassinado enquanto se hospedava na Casa do Provost nos arredores de Edimburgo. O porão do prédio está cheio de pólvora, mas parece que Darnley pode ter sido estrangulado enquanto tentava escapar da explosão. Crescem as suspeitas públicas de que o conde de Bothwell, e possivelmente a própria rainha da Escócia, estão envolvidos no assassinato.

12 de abril de 1567: O conde de Bothwell é julgado pelo assassinato de Darnley e considerado inocente. Poucos escoceses acreditam que o julgamento seja justo.

19 de abril de 1567: James Hepburn, 4º conde de Bothwell, embora já casado, propõe casamento a Mary, rainha da Escócia, com o apoio de muitos nobres influentes de toda a Escócia. Mary o recusa.

21 de abril de 1567: James Hepburn, 4º Conde de Bothwell, sequestra Mary Queen of Scots nos arredores de Edimburgo e a leva para o Castelo de Dunbar, onde, presumindo que Mary seja uma participante involuntária, ele a estupra. Eles concordam em se casar.

James Hepburn, 4º Conde de Bothwell, divorciou-se de sua esposa, Jean Gordon, para abrir caminho para seu planejado casamento com Maria, Rainha dos Escoceses.

15 de maio de 1567: Maria, Rainha da Escócia, casa-se com o Conde de Bothwell em um casamento protestante no Palácio de Holyroodhouse em Edimburgo. Eles então fogem da dissidência popular generalizada para o Castelo de Dunbar.

15 de junho de 1567: nobres escoceses com a intenção de resgatar Mary Queen of Scots de James Hepburn, 4o Conde de Bothwell, encontram o casal e mil apoiadores em Carberry Hill, a leste de Edimburgo. Depois de um longo dia de impasse, Mary concorda com as exigências dos nobres e # 39 e manda Bothwell embora. Eles nunca mais se encontram. Mary é levada para a prisão no Castelo Lochleven em uma ilha em Loch Leven, perto de Kinross.

24 de julho de 1567: Lordes Ruthven e Lindsay visitam Mary, Rainha dos Escoceses, e insistem que ela abdique imediatamente ou seja morta. Ela abdica.

29 de julho de 1567: Charles James, com um ano de idade, é coroado Rei James VI da Escócia em uma cerimônia protestante na Igreja da Sagrada Rude, perto do Castelo de Stirling. John Knox prega um sermão. Faz exatamente dois anos que Mary se casou com Darnley.

2 de maio de 1568: Mary Queen of Scots escapa do Castelo Lochleven e revoga sua abdicação. Ela reúne um exército e segue em direção ao Castelo de Dumbarton.

13 de maio de 1568: o exército Mary Queen of Scots & # 39 é derrotado por uma força muito menor sob o regente, o Conde de Moray, na Batalha de Langside, agora parte de Glasgow.

15 de maio de 1568: o voo de Mary Queen of Scots & # 39 leva-a ao Castelo Terregles perto de Dumfries. Ela rejeita o conselho de seus partidários de retornar à França e prefere fugir para a Inglaterra e buscar a misericórdia de sua prima, a rainha Elizabeth, que ainda teme que Maria possa reivindicar a coroa da Inglaterra.

23 de janeiro de 1570: O regente, o conde de Moray, é baleado e morto em Linlithgow por um agressor escondido na casa do arcebispo católico de St Andrews.

12 de julho de 1570: O Conde de Lennox, pai de Lord Darnley, é nomeado Regente com o apoio da Rainha Elizabeth.

Setembro de 1571: Maria, ainda cativa na Inglaterra, é implicada em uma conspiração do duque católico de Norfolk para usar as tropas espanholas para derrubar Elizabeth. Isso prejudica muito de seu apoio remanescente na Escócia.

1572: O Conde de Morton torna-se regente e é efetivamente governante da Escócia pelos próximos seis anos.

24 de novembro de 1572: A morte em Edimburgo de John Knox, uma das principais figuras da Reforma Presbiteriana da Igreja na Escócia e um homem que em outra época teria sido descrito como um fundamentalista religioso.

Maio de 1573: A queda do Castelo de Edimburgo como o último bastião de apoio a Maria na Escócia põe fim a três anos de guerra civil.

9 de junho de 1573: A morte na prisão em Leith de Sir William Maitland de Lethington, o político que se tornou Secretário de Estado de Maria, Rainha dos Escoceses.

12 de dezembro de 1574: O nascimento no Castelo de Skanderborg, na Dinamarca, de Anne da Dinamarca, que se tornou rainha consorte do rei Jaime I da Inglaterra e VI da Escócia.

Março de 1578: Jaime VI assume o governo da Escócia aos 12 anos.

14 de abril de 1578: James Hepburn, 4º conde de Bothwell morre, louco, na notória prisão de Dragholm, na Dinamarca.

14 de setembro de 1580: O nascimento perto de Inverurie de Robert Gordon de Straloch, um poeta, matemático, antiquário e geógrafo, principalmente lembrado por sua cartografia da Escócia.

2 de junho de 1581: O ex-regente, James Douglas, 4º Conde de Morton, é executado por seu suposto envolvimento no assassinato de Lord Darnley, pai de James VI e # 39, quatorze anos antes, após acusações feitas por Robert Stewart, 1º Conde de Orkney .

14 de abril de 1582: A Universidade de Edimburgo é estabelecida por uma Carta Real concedida por James VI, tornando-a apenas a sexta universidade a ser fundada nas Ilhas Britânicas e a quarta na Escócia.

Agosto de 1582: James VI, de 16 anos, é feito prisioneiro pelo Conde de Gowrie e pelos & # 34Lords Enterprisers & # 34 no Castelo de Ruthven, agora Castelo da Torre de Caça perto de Perth. O & # 34Ruthven Raid & # 34 foi projetado para aumentar o controle dos conspiradores no poder, controlando o rei.

28 de setembro de 1582: morte em Edimburgo de George Buchanan, um historiador e estudioso que foi perseguido por suas opiniões protestantes.

Junho de 1583: James VI engana seus captores para permitir que ele participe de um banquete no Castelo de St Andrews, onde ele escapa deles e posteriormente os perdoa.

Abril de 1584: Os Lordes Empreendedores tomam o Castelo de St Andrews em um esforço para derrubar James VI, agora com 18 anos. Ele reúne um exército e o recaptura, executando o Conde de Gowrie e exilando outros conspiradores para a Inglaterra.

Maio de 1584: O Parlamento declarou Jaime VI como chefe da igreja - Kirk - e do estado em face dos esforços crescentes de Kirk para limitar seu poder.

11 de agosto de 1586: Mary Queen of Scots é presa após escrever uma carta aprovando um complô para matar a rainha Elizabeth.

15 de outubro de 1586: Mary Queen of Scots é julgada por traição no Castelo Fotheringay em Northamptonshire.

8 de fevereiro de 1587: Mary Queen of Scots é decapitada em Fotheringay. Seu filho, Jaime VI, rompe brevemente relações diplomáticas com a Inglaterra.

16 de julho de 1588: Morte de Lady Agnes Keith, nascida na nobreza escocesa e que por um breve período se tornou uma das mulheres mais poderosas do país.

20 de agosto de 1589: Jaime VI casa-se com Ana da Dinamarca, filha do rei Frederico II da Dinamarca. O casamento é por procuração e seus esforços subsequentes para navegar para a Escócia a levaram de volta à Noruega, supostamente como resultado de bruxaria.

22 de outubro de 1589: James VI viaja para a Noruega para buscar sua noiva, Anne da Dinamarca.

1º de maio de 1590: o rei Jaime VI e Ana da Dinamarca retornam a Leith, e Ana é coroada Rainha da Escócia no final daquele mês. James começa uma caça às bruxas que ceifará mais de mil vidas nos próximos cem anos.

4 de fevereiro de 1593: Morte de Robert Stewart, o despótico primeiro conde de Orkney e senhor de Zetland. Ele é sucedido por seu filho, o igualmente desagradável Patrick Stewart, 2º Conde de Orkney.

2 de abril de 1593: A criação do Marischal College como uma segunda universidade em Aberdeen por George Keith, o 5º Conde Marischal.

30 de agosto de 1594: O batismo ocorre na Capela Real do Castelo de Stirling do Príncipe Henrique, filho do Rei Jaime VI da Escócia.

3 de outubro de 1594: A Batalha de Glenlivet é travada entre as forças católicas vitoriosas de George Gordon, 1º Marquês de Huntly e as forças protestantes de Archibald Campbell, 7º Conde de Argyll.

13 de abril de 1596: Walter Scott de Buccleuch liberta o notório reiver William Armstrong de Kinmont do Castelo de Carlisle.

Julho de 1596: os esforços de Jaime VI para se declarar herdeiro aparente do trono inglês resultaram no Tratado de Berwick, uma aliança formal com a Inglaterra.

1597: O Parlamento Escocês arrenda a Ilha de Lewis nas Ilhas Ocidentais para o Duque de Lennox e os & # 34Fife Aventureiros & # 34. Eles estão explicitamente autorizados a abater, mutilar, incendiar e fazer qualquer coisa necessária para "erradicar os habitantes bárbaros". É assim que os habitantes das terras altas e das ilhas são vistos pelos escoceses das planícies.

1599: James e Anne começam a viver vidas separadas após sua conversão ao catolicismo, embora tenham sete filhos no total.


Linha do tempo e fatos da história da Escócia

História concisa da Escócia
55BC Júlio César chega à Grã-Bretanha
80 DC O romano Julius Agricola invade & quotAlbion & quot ou & quotCaledonia & quot os nomes antigos da Escócia
Tribos celtas da Caledônia de 84 DC se unem sob o comando de Calgaco, mas são derrotadas pelos romanos
121 - 129 A Muralha de Adriano foi construída pelos romanos
397 - St Ninian traz o cristianismo para a Escócia
476 O colapso do Império Romano
Ocasião Vikings dos anos 800 - 900 na Escócia
1005 O rei Malcolm II governa a Escócia e derrota os vikings na batalha de Mortlach
1034 - 1040 Rei Duncan I
1040-1057 Macbeth mata Duncan para se tornar rei da Escócia
1272 William Wallace nasce
1274 Nasce Robert the Bruce
1297 Guerra da Independência da Escócia, liderada por William Wallace
1298 escoceses derrotados por Eduardo I da Inglaterra
1305 William Wallace executado
1306 Robert the Bruce é coroado rei
1314 Batalha de Bannockburn quando Robert the Bruce derrota os ingleses e ganha a independência da Escócia
1371 Robert II, o primeiro Stewart King assume o trono
1513 Batalha de Flodden e James IV mortos em batalha
1559 Início da Reforma na Escócia com o sermão de John Knox em Perth
1561 Mary Queen of Scots retorna à Escócia da França
1565 Maria, Rainha da Escócia, casa-se com Henrique, Lorde Darnley
1567 Henry Darnley assassinado
1568 Maria, rainha da Escócia, foge para a Inglaterra e é presa por Elizabeth I. Seu filho bebê torna-se Jaime VI da Escócia
1587 Mary Queen of Scots executada no Castelo de Fotheringay
1603 Jaime VI da Escócia torna-se Jaime I da Inglaterra, trazendo a União das Coroas
1692 O Massacre de Glencoe - Os Campbells assassinam o clã MacDonald
1707 O Ato de União é aprovado e a Escócia é formalmente unida à Inglaterra para formar a Grã-Bretanha
1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie - Príncipe Charles Edward Stuart - retorna à Escócia para reivindicar o trono britânico
1746 Batalha de Culloden onde os escoceses jacobitas derrotaram e Bonnie Prince Charlie foge para a França.
A história escocesa agora se combina com a história britânica

A História da Irlanda - Rory O'Connor foi o último Grande Rei nativo da Irlanda (1166-1175)

A História do País de Gales - 1222-1283 Llywelyn Ap Gruffudd assumiu o título de Príncipe de Gales e em 1284 o País de Gales foi incorporado ao Reino da Inglaterra sob o Estatuto de Rhuddlan

A História da Inglaterra - detalhes sobre Reis Antigos com eventos importantes e cronograma

Realeza Inglesa - detalha os Reis e Rainhas da Inglaterra / Grã-Bretanha


Linha do tempo de James I da Escócia - História

Há muitos anos tem havido um conflito na formação da Maçonaria na Escócia. Espero esclarecer alguns mitos e apresentar uma história simples e sensata aos meus leitores. Uma pessoa deve primeiro entender o que é a maçonaria antes de poder declarar a atividade maçônica em áreas da história. Os maçons são um grupo de pessoas altamente talentosas e educadas. Eles acreditam nas artes e nas ciências, assim como em seu Deus.

A história mostra pessoas inteligentes rotuladas como hereges, feiticeiros, participantes do ocultismo, contra a Igreja e contra seus próprios países. Basicamente, as pessoas de conhecimento não eram melhores do que Adão e Eva quando a serpente os induziu a comer da árvore do conhecimento. Esta história ajudará a apoiar a hipótese de que os maçons são apenas um grupo de pessoas altamente qualificadas.

Na verdade, a Maçonaria começou com os fenícios na época de Salomão, mas pelo bem da Escócia, começarei com as marcas da Maçonaria na Escócia. As pessoas confundiram a alvenaria de pedra com a maçonaria. Para o propósito deste artigo, vou falar apenas sobre evidências.

A primeira evidência que consegui localizar é a Abadia de Kilwinning, perto de Glasgow. O trabalho original na abadia foi feito por volta de 1020 por pedreiros estrangeiros. Eles deixaram sua marca na pedra fundamental (A História da Maçonaria e a Grande Loja da Escócia, William Alexander Laurie, Universidade da Califórnia, H. Morse Stephens coletar). Este manuscrito muito antigo afirma que os maçons vieram para a Escócia no início do século XI. Eles construíram em Kilwinning e em York.

A Grande Mestra das Mulheres Maçons declarou em 1724 Reinos da Escócia foram de tempos em tempos Grandes Mestres sem interrupção desde os dias de Fergus

Robert L D Cooper também afirma na página 39 do The Rosslyn Hoax ?, história específica começando com Fergus II em 403 AD de Anderson.

Eu mostrei na minha história de abertura, o Rei Malcolm III Canmore foi o primeiro Grande Mestre da Escócia. Agora vou compartilhar com vocês algumas das evidências que encontrei em 6 de agosto de 1849, na Loja de Glasgow, St. John, que afirmam possuir uma Carta de Malcolm Canmore, Rei da Escócia.

A Enciclopédia da Maçonaria Parte 3 afirma na página 1244, O rei Malcolm III deu uma Carta aos nossos amigos de confiança e amados, os maçons operativos na cidade de Glasgow em 5 de outubro de 1057.


Malcolm III

Os outros 19 Grão-Mestres da Escócia copiados da minha primeira história são:

1. Malcom III 1031 - 1093
2. Alexandre I 1078 - 1124 Patrono
3. David I 1084-1153
4. Guilherme o Leão 1143-1214
5. Henry Wardlaw? - 1440
6. James I 1394 - 1437
7. William Sinclair 1404-1484
8. William Turnbull? - 1454
9. Sir Robert Cockeran? - 1482
10. Alexander Lord Forbes? - 1491
11. William Elphinston 1431-1514
12. Gavin Dunbar 1455-1532
13. Gavin Douglas 1474-1522
14. George Creighton?
15. Patrick, conde de Lindsay? - 1526
16. Sir David Lindsay 1551-1610
17. Andrew Stewart, LO 1548-1593
18. Sir James Sandilands? - 1579
19. Claud Hamilton LP 1543-1622
20. James VI e I 1566-1625

LO = Lord Ochiltree LP = Lord Paisley (Páginas 39 e 40)

Existem alguns nomes muito famosos listados no gráfico acima. Não vou mencioná-los no momento porque quero falar sobre os Grão-Mestres menos conhecidos no gráfico acima.

Henry Wardlaw, Bispo de Andrews foi Grão-Mestre da Escócia até James VI, I, ser resgatado dos ingleses. Wardlaw também foi fundador da Universidade. Leia http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/wardlaw.htm.

Gavin Dunbar (c1490-1547) foi arcebispo de Glasgow e chanceler da Universidade em 1524-1547.

Dunbar nasceu em Wigtownshire e estudou direito civil e canônico em Glasgow e Paris. Ele foi nomeado tutor do infante James V em 1517 e foi por conselho de Dunbar que James fundou a Suprema Corte da Escócia, a Corte de Sessão, em 1532. Ele ocupou vários cargos importantes na Igreja antes de se tornar arcebispo de Glasgow em 1524. Ele é acredita-se que morreu no Palácio do Bispo, no topo da High Street. http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH0095&type=P

Gavin Douglas era o bispo de Dunkeld e famoso por ser um teólogo avançado de sua época.

George Creighton é desconhecido no momento, mas localizarei outras histórias da Escócia e perseguirei esse cavalheiro.

Patrick, conde de Lindsay, tem muito poucas informações, mas vou listar o que encontrei.

Patrick Lindsay, 4º Lord Lindsay dos Byres era filho de John Lindsay, 1º Lord Lindsay dos Byres e Agnes Stewart. Ele morreu em 1526.
Patrick Lindsay, 4º Lorde Lindsay dos Byres ganhou o título de 4º Lord Lindsay dos Byres [S., 1445].

Filhos de Patrick Lindsay, 4º Lorde Lindsay dos Byres e Isabella de Feotham

Existem muitos cavaleiros nesta linha. Não encontrei evidências de títulos de Cavaleiro Templário em minhas pesquisas até agora.

Aqui estão algumas informações que encontrei sobre Sir James Sandilands na Internet:

Com a chegada da Reforma, os Sandilands de Calder logo se tornaram Senhores de Torphichen. Naquela época, Sir James Sandilands (segundo filho do 7º barão feudal de Calder), era um Cavaleiro de São João e prior do Preceptório de Torphichen (o centro da Ordem de São João na Escócia). Depois que a Coroa Inglesa suprimiu a Ordem na Inglaterra em 1540 (e na Irlanda em 1547), o único preceptor que restou dos Cavaleiros de São João foi Torphichen. Como resultado, por quase vinte e cinco anos (de 1540 a 1564), o Preceptório Torphichen sob Sir James Sandilands representou os Cavaleiros de São João na Grã-Bretanha.

No entanto, em vista desta posição isolada, Sir James em 1564 eventualmente sucumbiu à Reforma e entregou o Preceptório de Torphichen e as terras vizinhas dos Cavaleiros de São João à Coroa Escocesa (Rainha Maria Stuart), recebendo-o de volta (para continuar sua administração) junto com o título de Lord Torphichen. (Senhor em lugar de Preceptor, designação anterior concedida pela Ordem de São João). Ele morreu em 1579 e, não tendo nenhum herdeiro homem, foi sucedido por James (2º Lorde Torphichen e 10º Barão Feudal de Calder), neto de seu irmão mais velho John (8º Barão Feudal). Como resultado, os descendentes da família Sandilands de Calder (Lordes Torphichen) e suas propriedades constituem o elo histórico mais direto com a Ordem de São João nas Ilhas Britânicas. [Ref. & quotThe Knights of Malta & quot por HJA Sire publishers: Yale University Press, 1994.]

O padrão de pessoas inteligentes ocupando altos cargos na maçonaria é evidente com todos os homens listados como os Grão-Mestres originais da Loja da Escócia. A Maçonaria teve um crescimento lento durante esta era, mas ganhou impulso nos anos posteriores. A documentação que pesquisei é boa o suficiente para provar a um estranho que os maçons já existem há muito tempo.

Há outro padrão que descobri em minha pesquisa dos Grão-Maçons originais, todos eles estão intimamente ligados à Dinastia Stuart. Eles estão ligados por sangue ou casamento. Vou deixar este boato em aberto para os muitos pesquisadores por aí que podem ter outra teoria diferente da minha quanto aos links na Maçonaria original e nas linhas de Bruce e Stuart.


Linha do tempo de James I da Escócia - História

O rei Carlos I se tornou a primeira pessoa a suceder à coroa da Inglaterra e da Escócia. Seu pai James VI o Rei da Escócia de 1567 e mais tarde James I Rei da Inglaterra de 1603. James foi enterrado na Abadia de Westminster.

Reconstruções virtuais 3D

Transporte-se de volta aos mil anos e explore edifícios históricos como podem ter surgido no passado. Construídas usando a popular ferramenta de desenvolvimento de jogos Unity 3D, essas reconstruções serão executadas na maioria dos navegadores da Web populares em seu computador desktop ou laptop.

Descubra a vida de centenas de reis, rainhas, senhores, senhoras, barões, condes, arcebispos e rebeldes que fizeram do povo medieval um período emocionante da história para se viver.

Seleção das referências utilizadas:

    1. Michael Lynch, Escócia, uma nova história, 2004, ISBN: 0-7126-9893-0 2. C H Hunter Blair e H L Honeyman, Livro Guia Oficial do Castelo de Warkworth, 1963

Explore todos os quatro andares da Torre Branca na Torre de Londres usando o motor de jogo Unity 3d.

Edifícios Virtuais

Transporte-se de volta a mil anos e explore edifícios históricos enquanto eles poderia apareceram no passado.

Parece haver algumas conexões estranhas entre o antigo castelo de Wardour do século XIV e o antigo círculo de pedras de Stonehenge.

O antigo castelo de Wardour parece estar alinhado a locais antigos na paisagem de Stonehenge.

Stonehenge está alinhado com o Solstício de Verão. Old Wardour tem um alinhamento muito semelhante.

Os construtores de Old Wardour poderiam usar mesuras de Stonehenge para desenhar a fortaleza geométrica?


Linha do tempo de James I da Escócia - História

O rei Carlos I se tornou a primeira pessoa a suceder à coroa da Inglaterra e da Escócia. Seu pai James VI o Rei da Escócia de 1567 e mais tarde James I Rei da Inglaterra de 1603. James foi enterrado na Abadia de Westminster.

Reconstruções virtuais 3D

Transporte-se de volta aos mil anos e explore edifícios históricos como podem ter surgido no passado. Construídas usando a popular ferramenta de desenvolvimento de jogos Unity 3D, essas reconstruções serão executadas na maioria dos navegadores da Web populares em seu computador desktop ou laptop.

Descubra a vida de centenas de reis, rainhas, senhores, senhoras, barões, condes, arcebispos e rebeldes que fizeram do povo medieval um período emocionante da história para se viver.

Seleção das referências utilizadas:

    1. Michael Lynch, Escócia, uma nova história, 2004, ISBN: 0-7126-9893-0 2. C H Hunter Blair e H L Honeyman, Livro Guia Oficial do Castelo de Warkworth, 1963

Explore todos os quatro andares da Torre Branca na Torre de Londres usando o motor de jogo Unity 3d.

Edifícios Virtuais

Transporte-se de volta a mil anos e explore edifícios históricos enquanto eles poderia apareceram no passado.

Parece haver algumas conexões estranhas entre o antigo castelo de Wardour do século XIV e o antigo círculo de pedra de Stonehenge.

O antigo castelo de Wardour parece estar alinhado a locais antigos na paisagem de Stonehenge.

Stonehenge está alinhado com o Solstício de Verão. Old Wardour tem um alinhamento muito semelhante.

Os construtores de Old Wardour poderiam usar mesuras de Stonehenge para traçar a fortaleza geométrica?


A Inglaterra e a Escócia formam a União como & aposGreat Grã-Bretanha & apos

Os Artigos da União apresentados pelos Comissários à Rainha Anne, criando o Reino da Grã-Bretanha.

O coletor de impressão / Imagens Getty

Quando a rainha Elizabeth I morreu em 1603, a próxima pessoa na linha de sucessão ao trono era seu primo, o rei Jaime VI da Escócia. Agora, ele ganhou um segundo nome: Rei James I da Inglaterra.

Embora a Escócia e a Inglaterra compartilhassem o mesmo rei, ainda eram dois reinos politicamente separados, cada um com seu próprio parlamento. Ao longo do século seguinte, houve várias tentativas fracassadas de fundi-los em uma nação. Essas tentativas terminaram em 1707, quando a Inglaterra e a Escócia se uniram como & # x201CGrande Grã-Bretanha & # x201D sob a rainha Anne (a rainha retratada em O favorito).

Houve várias razões para essa união, diz Christopher A. Whatley, professor de história da Escócia na Universidade de Dundee e autor de Os escoceses e a união: antes e agora. Um era o fato de que a Escócia estava endividada depois de tentar estabelecer um império colonial nas Américas da mesma forma que a Inglaterra, Portugal e Espanha haviam feito.

& # x201C Os escoceses reconheceram que o Realpolitik, se quiserem, da situação era que se eles fossem estabelecer mercados no exterior, contatos no exterior, eles precisariam do apoio de uma potência marítima mais forte, que era a Inglaterra, & # x201D, diz ele.

Muitos escoceses também viram a união como uma forma de impedir os Stuarts católicos de restabelecer uma monarquia absoluta e de assegurar o futuro da Escócia sob uma monarquia constitucional protestante. Para a Inglaterra, havia a preocupação de que, se não se unisse à Escócia, o país pudesse ficar do lado da Inglaterra com a França na Guerra da Sucessão Espanhola. Assim, em 1707, a Inglaterra concordou em dar dinheiro à Escócia para saldar suas dívidas, e os dois países e os parlamentos de 2019 aprovaram os Atos de União para se tornarem uma só nação.


Clãs, coletivos e a rebelião jacobita: as Terras Altas antes das Clearances

No início do século 18, as pessoas nas Terras Baixas da Escócia - que ficam a sudeste de uma linha traçada de Dumbarton, perto da cabeceira do Estuário de Clyde, na costa oeste, até Stonehaven - foram urbanizadas principalmente. Eles também estavam mais alinhados com a Inglaterra em termos de cultura, língua e política do que com seus colegas escoceses das Terras Altas. As pessoas nas Terras Altas - que abrangem a metade norte da Escócia, bem como, de acordo com muitas categorizações, as ilhas ocidentais das Hébridas Internas e Exteriores e Arran e Bute - eram principalmente rurais e tentavam sobreviver em uma terra amplamente infértil. Sua cultura e idioma eram predominantemente gaélico escocês.

Os Highlanders ainda seguiam o sistema de clãs, que já existia há centenas de anos. O clã era governado por uma família, da qual seu chefe era retirado. Os parentes e outros que compunham o clã viviam juntos em vilas agrícolas que funcionavam como coletivos ou fazendas de arrendamento compartilhado. A terra era controlada pelo chefe, mas alugada dele por “tachistas” que a alugavam a fazendeiros arrendatários, que por sua vez empregavam cottars para ajudar no cultivo. Tingido de influências feudais, o clã era também um sistema marcial baseado na obrigação de seus guerreiros de prestar serviço militar ao chefe a quem deviam lealdade pessoal. Esses combatentes dependiam em parte da pilhagem obtida ao invadir clãs vizinhos para manter seu padrão de vida.

Em 1745, Charles Edward, o Jovem Pretendente (chamado de “Bonnie Prince Charlie”), liderou a quinta rebelião jacobita que a casa de Stuart empreendeu na tentativa de recuperar o trono britânico. (O avô de Carlos, Jaime II, havia sido deposto como rei na Revolução Gloriosa de 1688-1689.) Carlos conquistou o apoio dos escoceses montanheses para lutar contra os ingleses e muitos escoceses das terras baixas pela coroa britânica. Após algum sucesso inicial, Charles e suas tropas foram finalmente derrotados na Batalha de Culloden (16 de abril de 1746), durante a qual milhares de Highlanders foram mortos. Nas semanas e meses subsequentes, cerca de 1.000 Highlanders foram caçados e mortos. No processo, clãs inteiros das Terras Altas foram destruídos ou forçados a fugir.

Mesmo antes da catástrofe em Culloden, o sistema de clãs começou a se deteriorar lentamente durante o reinado de Jaime I, que desconfiava tanto dos Highlanders que ordenou que os chefes se afastassem de seus clãs para comparecer a prolongadas visitas ao tribunal para que pudesse impedi-los de conspirar contra dele. Essa deterioração se acelerou, no entanto, nos anos seguintes à Batalha de Culloden, quando o governo britânico impôs leis restritivas que comprometiam o poder dos chefes do clã e da cultura gaélica que o sustentava, incluindo o banimento dos tartans do clã (designs têxteis xadrez) e música de gaita de foles. O governo também abriu caminho para que estrangeiros adquirissem grande parte das terras nas Terras Altas. Os novos proprietários de terras estavam determinados a replicar os modelos de agricultura capitalista empregados nas Terras Baixas,


Nós encorajamos você a compartilhar sua pesquisa em nossa linha do tempo.

Primeiros Frasers de Shimi Lovat

O mais antigo registro escrito de Frasers na Escócia é de 1160, quando Simon Fraser detinha terras em East Lothian em Keith. Naquele ano, ele deu uma igreja aos monges tironensianos da Abadia de Kelso. O.

Sir Simon Fraser, o Patriota e as Guerras da Independência da Escócia

Sir Simon Fraser, de Neidpath, pode ser considerado o pai fundador dos Lovat Frasers. Nascido em 1257 no castelo Neidpath perto de Peebles, ele teve uma morte horrível em Londres em 1306. Ele havia sido capturado lutando no.

O Nascimento do Clã Fraser de Lovat nas Terras Altas e as Feuds do Clã

From the early 1300s, then, Frasers established themselves in what has ever since been recognised as the Lovat Fraser homeland – Beauly and the Aird. The first document linking a Fraser with these lands of Lovat and the Aird is.

Union of Crowns & Civil Wars throughout Britain

When Elizabeth I of England died in 1603, her closest male heir was King James VI of Scotland. James united the thrones of Scotland, England and Wales, and Ireland, to create Great Britain. He became King James VI of Scotland.

Lovat of the 45, the Old Fox

Like an old eagle, Lovat smiles enigmatically from under hooded eyes – complete with 18th century frock coat, wig, breeches, wrinkly stockings, and shoes with silver buckles. This is Lovat as the great cartoonist Hogarth saw him, in the Tower of London.

The Frasers in the New World

A series of weak chiefs, combined with premature chiefly deaths that left child heirs to the chieftainship. These boy chiefs came under the influence of their mother’s people. It was normal for clans to form marital alliances. The daughters of.

The Lovat Scouts

In 1899, Simon 16th Lord Lovat raised the Lovat Scouts as a volunteer unit to fight in the Boer War. The officers were raised from the local Highland gentry and most of the men were stalkers, ghillies, shepherds and crofters.

WW2 and the Commandos

Who were the Commandos? The Commandos were raised in 1940 during the period of crisis that followed Dunkirk and were subsequently disbanded in 1946. All commandos were the best of the best, hand picked from every regiment of the armed.

Shimi, 17th Lord Lovat

Brigadier Simon Fraser, 17th Lord Lovat, DSO, MC, TD, JP, DL was the 24th Chief of the Clan Fraser of Lovat and a prominent British Commando during the Second World War. His friends called him Shimi Lovat, an anglicised version.

The Lovat Survivors

In the autumn of 1915, at the height of the Great War, Lochiel (Chief of Clan Cameron and a cousin of the Moniack Frasers) mournfully predicted that “another old Inverness-shire family was becoming extinct”. Of the 15th Lord Lovat’s three.

The Modern 78th Fraser Highlanders

In 1964, with Expo 67 being planned, the Montreal Military & Maritime Museum decided to re-raise this famous Regiment to take part in the colour and festivities of the World's Fair. Colonel J. Ralph Harper undertook the research and Mr.

Outlander & The New Clan Brand

Outlander author Diana Gabaldon explains why she chose a Fraser for her hero

We are extremely grateful to Diana for taking the time to explain why she chose Clan Fraser for her hero Jamie: WHY FRASER? I’m often asked (and not only by people named Fraser) why, when I decided to write.

The Aird of Lovat in June 1746

It feels like nothing changes here. though 273 Years ago, tragedy tore, howled, screamed, burned and slashed its way through this place. Hoje nao. The only sound that screamed in my hearing today was a sika deer half way between a.

18th Lord Lovat,
25th MACSHIMIDH

-->

The e-Fiery Cross

The Fiery Cross is the ancient Highland call for the clan to gather from the Chief, summoned by runners carrying two burning sticks tied with a strip of linen and dipped in blood.

The clan also welcome those who would be Bowl O'Meal Frasers. Simon 11th Lord Lovat, the Old Fox, was known to offer a large bag of grain/meal to those native to the Fraser country when they took the name of Fraser. The terms were clear, that they adopt the concerns of the Clan, offering loyalty and sword to the chief. They became known as Boll O' Meal Fraser's"

Furthermore we welcome those who would be a Friend of the clan, to join in celebration of our rich 800 year Fraser history, and ancient Gaelic traditions.


Wilsontown's history timeline

1644: A stone at the current Cleugh house is dated 1644, older maps show a house at Cleugh in the 16th century.

1655: James Wilson buys the lands of Hinschelwood and Cleugh from William Inglis of Eastsheil.

The 18th century

1708 – 1712: Abraham Darby uses coke in a blast furnace for the first time at Coaldbrookdale, Shropshire. Thomas Newcomen invents the atmospheric / fire engine.

1759: William Wilson Snr establishes himself successfully in business in London he becomes a merchant. The Carron Ironworks is established.

1770: William Dixon Snr is 17yrs old and comes to the West of Scotland from Northumberland to seek his fortune he settles at Govan Coalworks.

1771: John Wilson Snr returns from Sweden after selling his business in Gothenburg. He sets up a business in London with his younger brother William.

1772: William Wilson Jnr born to John Wilson Snr.

1779: Robert Wilson asks his brothers for a loan to purchase neighbouring land to the Cleugh estate. Construction of Wilsontown Ironworks begins. John Mackenzie is the Overseer as the Ironworks are being built. A large house is built and coal mining enterprises are not very successful.

1781: The first iron is produced at Wilsontown Ironworks.

1782: John Mackenzie is dismissed and the works then remain idle.

1783: Henry Cort patents the process of rolling iron.

1784: William Wilson Snr returns to Wilsontown and moves into Wilsontown House after touring round the UK getting experience in ironmaking. He dissolves the agreement with his brother Robert. John Wilson Snr stays in charge of their London business. Wilsontown Ironworks starts up again in May with Ironmasters from Coalbrookdale making pig iron for a short while. Henry Cort visits Scotland in May and does demonstrations of his new puddling process at Edinburgh - his Scottish Patent for rolling and puddling is sealed on 6th Feb.

1785: The blast furnace at Wilsontown Ironworks is blown out in February and not re-lit until May. John Wilson Snr sends Alexander Gunn to Wilsontown to be his representative. William Wilson Snr is concerned that the Ironworks will never make enough money to cover the costs incurred. John Wilson Snr and William Wilson Snr buy out their brother Robert.

1786: Clyde Ironworks is founded by John Mackenzie (who worked at Wilsontown) and Thomas Edington. Alexander Gunn is sent to Coalbrookdale to be instructed in the art of bar iron manufacture.

1787: Omoa / Cleland Ironworks and Muirkirk Ironworks are founded. A second blast furnace is built at Wilsontown and another blowing engine (see image, right) of greater power is set going. Produce includes pig iron, ballast for ships and shot (4-18 pounders inclusive).

William Wilson Snr and Alexander Gunn do not see eye to eye on the management of the Ironworks, but John Wilson Snr supports Gunn when William protests to him. It is likely that blooms from Wilsontown are rolled at Rotherhithe, London.

1788: There are 86 blast furnaces in Britain, 60 are using coke as fuel and 26 are still using charcoal.

1789: A steam engine is erected at Wilsontown to draw off the water from the minerals. This opens up a large mineral field so much more coal can be mined. John Rennie of Boulton and Watt produces plans for the new Forge at Wilsontown for William Wilson Snr.

1790: The workmen at Wilsontown are paid on piece-rate, monthly. Boulton and Watt produce a plan of the engine house and working gear for the new forge for Messrs John and William Wilson Snr. An engine (originally built in 1785) at Rotherhithe London is stopped, it is later bought by the Wilsons for their new forge.

1791: The Company name is John and William Wilson & Son, Swedish Iron Merchants. An extensive forge for the manufacture of blooms is erected at Wilsontown. Gardner, Manson and Co agree to take a large quantity of blooms from Wilsontown but there is a quarrel with Alexander Gunn and the contract is lost. John Wilson Snr arrives at Wilsontown from London and excludes William Wilson Snr from the firm. James Murdoch, an engine erector for Boulton and Watt, has been at Wilsontown for 15 months putting up the new engine in the forge.

Thomas Paine publishes the ’Rights of Man’ as a guide to the ideas of the Enlightenment, he greatly influences the French Revolution.

1792: The dispute between John and William Wilson Snr gets worse and John Snr makes his son John Jnr his legal representative in Scotland. William Wilson Snr is still very concerned about the state of the business and his lack of control. It is possible that William Murdoch (brother of James Murdoch) lights his house with gas coal for the first time now.

1793: The balance sheets show that Wilsontown Ironworks is in debt to its London business . William Wilson Snr is in favour of reducing iron production and diversifying by producing household coal. Alexander Gunn and John Wilson Snr disagree and prevent this idea being developed. William Wilson Snr estimates his loss at £20,000 and disputes follow regarding possession and examining the Company books.

The Sherrif of Lanarkshire appoints an interim manager for Wilsontown, Richard Steel of Lanark. Alexander Gunn is dismissed, William Wilson Snr alleges he is a disciple of Thomas Paine and has circulated copies of his work to the employees. John Wilson Snr dissolves the London co-partnery and stops William Wilson Snr’s credit. William Wilson Snr concludes that the economic failure at Wilsontown is due to mismanagment and not inherent economic weakness, still believing the operation can be made profitable

1794: There is a local community totalling 400 at Wilsontown. This includes a considerable number of people who are not from the area but have come here to work. Wilsontown Ironworks is currently not working, due to the family dispute. In the Ironworks there are currently 2 blast furnaces to produce pig iron, and 10 forges to convert the pigs into blooms before they are then beaten into bars. The Ironworks can also produce castings. There are said to be several Helve hammers.

It is currently 27 miles to get to the port at Leith but the line of a new road has been laid out that will reduce this to 21 miles. Carriage for produce going to Bo’ness and Leith is 8 shillings per ton in Summer and 10s per ton in Winter.

1795: Glenbuck Ironworks and Calder Ironworks (William Dixon is a partner) are founded. Richard Steel of Lanark is still in charge at Wilsontown

1796: John Condie is born in Glasgow.

1797: John Wilson Snr buys out William Wilson Snr . Wilsontown Ironworks are put up for sale and bought by John Wilson Snr, Merchant of Token-House Yard, London. John Wilson and Son is launched the partners are John Wilson Snr and two of his four sons, William Jnr and James. Mr James Meason, a clerk at Wilsontown Ironworks, is employed to examine the state of the minerals: “from what he had explored 40,000 tons of iron might be made annually for the space of 90 years, that the supply of ironstone is inexhaustible”

1798: The Forge at Wilsontown is put to work, with the addition of 2 hammers after having been stopped during the dispute, and the two blast furnaces are brought into full operation again.

O século 19

1801: William Wilson Jnr has failed in his St Petersburg trade. William Wilson Jnr mortgages Wilsontown house to one of his partners in a Russian venture when he could not pay £1,000, his full share of the loss incurred by Brown, Porter, Wilson and Co.

1802: Shotts Ironworks is founded. A Swedish Ironmaster visits several Scottish Ironworks including Wilsontown and writes a report. John Wilson Snr has pulled down part of the Ironworks and is replacing this with Puddling Furnaces and an extensive Rolling Mill. It is expected to produce 1,500 tons annually of bar iron once this building work is completed. The present manager of Wilsontown Ironworks is William Wilson Jnr who has planted 100,000 Pine, Spruce and Larch on a drained peat bog nearby.

1803: Clyde Ironworks is the second biggest Ironworks in Scotland at this time.

1804: The Wilsons acquire the coal rights at Climpy from George Crawford and they build a village for the workers there. Horse tramways are now laid to get raw materials to the blast furnaces at Wilsontown. The Rolling Mill at Wilsontown is put into operation this year. Wilsontown Ironworks is producing pig iron, cast iron goods, malleable bars, rods and hoops, boiler and other plates, and is said to be the only Ironworks in Scotland equipped for this trade. Robert Bauchop completes his ‘Plan of the Estate of Wilsontown’.

The Napoleonic War begins.

1806: A powerful Boulton and Watt blowing engine is erected and the weekly produce of the furnaces at Wilsontown increases from 20 to 40 ton. A manager’s house with 8 rooms is built around this time (believed to be Wester Heathland farmhouse). The coal and iron-stone mines, the furnaces, the forges, the rolling-mill, the shops of smiths, carpenters, engineers and mill-wrights are crowded with workmen.

1807: In the census of this year there are 2000 people dependant on Wilsontown Ironworks. The total monthly payment to workers is not less than £3,000. The Ironworks has to issue change tickets due to a shortage of small coins - £100 of silver and copper coins are needed each month the change tickets can be exchanged at the Company shop . Mr George Brown, Landsurveyer, conducts a survey and valuation to prepare the way for borrowing upon heritable security. There is now £63,500 borrowed on the security of the lands and fixed assets at the Ironworks. Both the Scottish and the London firm become insolvent. There is a severe depression in the iron trade.

Artist's impression of the interior of a worker's house at Wilsontown1808: By this date many buildings have been erected at Wilsontown, including 450 houses, a bakery and company shop. There is no further credit to be had from the banks, so a meeting is called with friends, merchants, local businessmen, bankers and mine officials in London. As a result, 54 well-wishers raise a short term loan for Wilsontown Ironworks.

The Scottish Company is now taken over by a Trust Deed. The Trustees are: John Dickson of Coulter, Advocate James Pillans, Ironmerchant of Leith John Mowbray of Edinburgh, Writer to the Signet George Crawford of Climpy Thomas Edington of Pheonix Ironworks near Glasgow and Martin Dalrymple at Omoa Ironworks.

There is hope that the Iron trade may pick up again. William Wilson Jnr and James Wilson continue to manage the Ironworks. The Climpy coal field is surveyed by ‘a professional man of great skill and integrity’ who reports that the quantity of workable coal exceeds 2,724,000 tons, with only 100,000 wrought out. A 40-year lease is established on all the coal and ironstone in the lands of Guildhouse and part of Hendshillwood - equivalent to 580 english acres.

George Crawford Esq of Climpy writes a letter dated 6th August 1808 where he explains that he had at least 150 families employed on his estate. They were miners, lime-workers, and labourers. Because the parish church was so far away in Carnwath he built a place of worship for these families at his own expense. Joseph Purdie from Peebleshire was ordained as the Minister in April 1810.

William Dixon sends a report on the Wilsons in a letter to David Mushet. Mr Edington is the Wilson’s agent in Glasgow and has compiled a report on Wilsontown Ironworks. Martin Darlrymple at the Omoa ironworks has given Mr Edington all his iron to sell to try to keep down the price of iron. John Wilson Snr is mortally ill in October and dies on Christmas day.

Humphrey Davey demonstrates his new electric arc lamp.

1809: Land and equipment that is not essential for the operation of Wilsontown Ironworks is offered up for sale at the Royal Exchange Coffee House in Edinburgh. Various people buy parcels of land including John Wilson of Guildhouse and Henry Wilson, late of Calcutta. New boilers are installed at the blowing engines despite the Company’s perilous position.

1810: Lodge St John Wilsontown Ironworks is founded. John Wilson and Sons is now bringing up a day level in the Wilsontown Colliery, which has already been driven 500 fathoms. This is an extension of the famous Holmesyke Level. The Ironstone is so rich that little more than 3 tons yields a ton of iron.

For the last 6 months the Ironworks has almost entirely been employed in making soft pig iron for foundry use due to an increase in price for pig iron and a drop for bar iron. There are few competitors in Scotland in the making of engines - Wilsontown is fitted out for this. The 2 blast furnaces (see image, right) produce about 80 to 90 tonnes of iron a week, mainly of best no. 1 iron.

There are houses for 400 – 500 workmen and their families. The freight from London to Leith is from 10 – 12s per ton and insurance less than 1%.

Joseph Purdie of Peebleshire is ordained as the Minister of Climpy Church in April. The week after this, at least 100 families are discharged after the collapse of the Ironworks business. The congregation of the Church now fell to only 20 or 30 people and stayed this way until the Minister gave up in 1813.

1811: Wilsontown Ironworks is advertised for sale in the Morning Chronicle, London, but no-one purchases it. An Inventory of tools values them at £7,050. George Crawford, the owner of Climpy, goes bankrupt this year - the Wilsons had advanced money to him but they never recovered it. Thomas Bauchop, surveyor, produces a map of Wilsontown Sheepwalk.

1812: There is a general commercial crisis in the Scottish Iron trade. Many local gentry become bankrupt including John Wilson Jnr of Guildhouse and Henry Wilson of Cleugh House. Stock accumulates at Wilsontown and in the warehouses at Leith, Glasgow and London. By June there is 2,200 tons of unsold iron. By July the outstanding debts total more than £100,000, with over £1,600 in wage arrears. There is an attempt to switch production from bar iron to pig iron but this encounters technical difficulties .

The Scottish Creditors of Wilsontown Ironworks apply for sequestration (bankrupcy), which is granted on 15 June. A temporary factor is appointed to protect the interests of the Creditors. The Trustees decide to carry on the works with one furnace in blast, the labour force is put to work casting axles, collecting scrap iron, breaking up plant and taking inventories. 521 men are employed at the Ironworks.

The last batch of iron is made in December and the furnace blown out, the workmen are dismissed and paid off apart from a skeleton staff. The workingmen’s union and savings bank, the Wilsontown Friendly Society, loses its capital. Wilsontown Ironworks is put up for sale for £20,000. William Mowbray buys Wilsontown Sheepwalk . An Illicit home still is discovered. William Wilson Jnr moves with his family to London after this year and sets himself up as a successful merchant in the ‘Russia trade’, importing goods from Moscow and St Petersburg.

1813: The last account of John Wilson and Son is made on November 26th. Mr Thomson, ‘a respectable Engineer’, makes an inventory of implements and utensils essentially necessary for the works. During this time Mr Laurie (Lawrie), Overseer, and James Baird, ‘an efficient workman and watchman’, have been kept employed at the works in order to keep things ticking over.

On 23 February, the Minister of Climpy Church resigns due to a lack of a congregation. Since the Ironworks stopped in 1810 he had only 20 or 30 people attending sermons. He stated that "sermon was however regularly kept up at Wilsontown by other parties".

1815: The Napoleonic War ceases

1819: Alexander Gillespie of Sunnyside buys the lands of Cleugh. Inspired by the French Revolution there is industrial unrest spreading through the country. Weavers from Glasgow talk of revolution and organising themselves for a fight.

1820: John Patterson, Ironmaster, and Robert Stevenson, Civil Engineer, visit Wilsontown Ironworks and make a full report: "no Ironmaster at this day would set down a work from which the carriage to the nearest port is no less than 26 miles". Mr Laurie is still the Manager. Wilsontown is said to ‘have the appearance of a large village now in a state of decay’.

1821: The sequestrated Estate of Wilson and Sons is purchased from James Britstow Fraser, Writer in Edinburgh, Trustee, on 20 March by William Dixon for £6,100.

1822: Alexander Gillespie of Sunnyside buys the lands of Mid and East Forth, part of the Wilsontown Estate.

1823: There are now 237 blast furnaces in Britain.

1827: John Nimmo is the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks. There is a new toll road, an improvement on the old moor road, to Edinburgh via West Calder, over which pig iron etc. is carted to Edinburgh and Leith. The Road to Glasgow is not so direct and Glasgow has become a valuable outlet for the Ironworks. In the Autumn John Nimmo and William Dixon Jnr map out a new road west from Climpy to the Holytown road via Shotts Ironworks.

1828: James Beaumont Neilson discovers the hot blast process whilst fixing a boiler at Wilsontown. He goes on to patent the ‘improved application of air to produce heat in fires, forges and furnaces – no 5701’ on 3 March. An Act for making and maintaining a turnpike road (this is the B715) from Wilsontown Ironworks to the A71 is dated 23 May. Thomas Nimmo is the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks .

The Gartsherrie furnace is started by Bairds. A foundry is opened at Shotts Ironworks.

1829: The Hot Blast process is now in use.

1830: Lord Belhaven takes over the lease of a distillery at Wilsontown from Hugh Goold. Captain Alexander Wilson, son of Robert Wilson, is still living at Cleugh Mansion house. William Wilson Jnr is 58 and approached by partner Benjamin Lancaster to go into candle making. They set up Edward Price and Co.

1831: Coal used per ton of pig iron has gone down from 10 tons to 3 tons due to the Hot Blast process. Hot blast is being used at Calder Ironworks by William Dixon, using an open water-cooled tuyere with only limited success.

1832: Thomas Nimmo ceases to be the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks. His sons later manage the works and Thomas goes on to work coal pits on the Wilsontown and Cleugh lands on his own account. John Condie is taken on at Calder Ironworks by William Dixon Jnr.

1833: John Condie is sent as manager to Wilsontown by William Dixon Jnr.

1834: John Wilson Jnr now owns Westsidewood as well as Guildhouse, near Forth. William Pillans is murdered at the toll bar, Wilsontown, by James Tweedie on 18th April.

1836: John Condie has invented a nozzle at Wilsontown with a spiral of wrought iron tubing cast into it so that a continuous flow of cooling water can be maintained – the 'scots' or 'worm' or 'Condie' tuyere. This revolutionises iron manufacture.

1842: The output of pig iron at Wilsontown Ironworks is 14 tonnes per day. There is a great shut down in Scotland’s industries and Wilsontown Ironworks closes for the final time. John Condie moves to Dalry Ironworks (also owned by William Dixon) .The trustees of the late James Hare grant a feu in favour of William Dixon of Govan Colliery at Wester Handaxwood, sheepwalk of 204 scotch acres in December.

1845: Wilsontown Ironworks is broken up by breakers.

1846: John Condie patents his steam hammer.

1848: The Condie steam hammer is erected for first time at Govan Ironworks.

1849: James Wilson, an earnest and evangelical Christian, sets up a Christian society at Price’s Candle factory.

1850: James ‘Paraffin’ Young patents his process for making paraffin wax from distilled coal.

1851: By now practically all the coal mining at Wilsontown has ceased. Wilsontown is now offered for sale again, and although advertised at an upset price it is not bought.

1853: James Wilson urges Price’s Candle Co shareholders to pay for a school and chapel for factory boys.

1856: The steel making process is introduced by Sir Henry Bessemer.

1858: William Darling, a Glasgow Iron Merchant, buys Cleugh, Mid and East Forth from the trustees of Alexander Gillespie.

1860: On 22 October a railway is opened up past Wilsontown for goods and minerals. It stops at a siding behind Quality Row. After the railway comes, William Dixon resumes mining Wilsontown Main coal for coking, thus bringing industrial activity back to the area. This keeps the Wilsontown pits busy.

1862: The Coltness Iron Company open up the gas coal in Haywood. James Gray of Leavenseat Lime Works and Gavin Paul of Airdrie, a railway contractor, get a lease from William Dixon to work the Wilsontown Cannel Coal. To get to the Cannel Coal they have to clean out the Holmesyke Level from its outlet to the middle of the coalfield at great expense as it had been neglected for some time. Gavin Paul and family move into Wilsontown Mansion house after this year.

1865: The mineral railway line is extended to Wilsontown Station. Thomas Nimmo extends his mining operations to the lands of Haywood and Lawhead and he and his son, also Thomas, take out a lease of the rough coal.

1866: Omoa Ironworks shuts down.

1867: The railway at Wilsontown takes passengers for the first time.

1869: The railway line is extended from Wilsontown to Climpy.

1870: Gavin Paul and family are still living in Wilsontown masion house he is responsible for having the church at Wilsontown built this year There is a boiler explosion at no. 1 pit Climpy, leased by Gray and Paul, killing 2 children.

1871: Wilsontown Inn is now shown as a store on maps.

1873: The trustees of the late Mr William Dixon sell the lands of Cleugh, Greenwalls, Mid and East Forth now called Wilsontown, to William Smith Dixon.

1875: Beehive ovens are erected for the first time at Wilsontown Colliery.

1884: Gray and Paul give up the lease of the gas coal as it is exhausted.

1885: The Paul family leave the area and it is a sad departure. From now on most mining is carried out at Wilsontown by Dixons. It is more extensive than before due to an increase in the use of coking coal in coke ovens and in gas works

1887: The Carnwath Board take over running of the old school at Wilsontown as a works school.

1898: A new colliery at Wilsontown opens up this year (called Wilsontown colliery, there was a colliery with this name run by the Wilsons previously).

The 20th Century

1900: Tennants commences delivering miner’s coal around this year in the Peaweep Row.

1905: At Wilsontown Colliery the old beehive ovens are now replaced with a modern type of by-product plant. This plant is used to carbonise coal into metallurgical coke for the smelting of iron ore and ironstone in the blast furnaces. In addition the coke is used to recover valuable products such as tar, ammonia, and in later years benzol, all of which Wilsontown Main Coal is especially rich in.

1912: The Coltness Iron Company returns to the area and acquires the Climpy Colliery.

1913: Wilsontown sheepwalk has been let to Henry Wilson Esq.

1919: Kingshill no. 1 pit is sunk by the Coltness Iron Company in Allanton.

1921: Muirkirk Ironworks closes.

1922: William Dixon Ltd stops using splint coal and only uses coke fuel, which they get from Wilsontown Colliery and other coke makers.

1926: The old Wilsontown school closes.

1931: Kingshill no. 2 pit (Queenshill) is sunk, owned by Coltness Steel Company Limited.

1936: Quality Row is condemned and closes. The residents are moved to housing in Forth.

1938: Wilsontown coke is still being used for smelting purposes in the blast furnaces in the West of Scotland. Forkens mine has recently been sunk mining Kilsyth coking coal, a seam about 24” thick. A modern type of coal-cutting machine and face and gate road conveying plant has made the seam economic.

Wilsontown mansion house is still in good condition. The old school at Wilsontown still stands but is in a ruinous state. It has the words 'fear god' and 'love thy neighbour' on the lintels.

1940 / 41: A bomb is dropped somewhere near Burnfoot / Mosshat and the men in Forkens mine hear the doors in the mine rattle. Forkens mine is shut down and the men are transferred to Wilsontown Colliery.

1948: Wilsontown Colliery has an output of 320 tons per day, 80,000 tons per annum. It uses longwall working, has 390 employees, two screen tables, a Luhrigg washer, no baths, a canteen for packed meals, a first aid centre, DC electricity (all generated at the mine), two shafts – no 3, 104m deep and no 9: 73m deep.

Kingshill no. 2 pit has one 269m deep shaft, downcast with a forcing fan, return mine at Climpy, 1 in 1.2 for 128m, output 640 tons per day, 160,000 per annum, it uses longwall working, has 589 employees, 3 screening tables, a Baum type washer, baths, a canteen for packed meals, and first aid room, all electricity is from public supply.

1951: The last passenger train passes through Wilsontown

1954: Wilsontown mansion house is demolished.

1955: Wilsontown Colliery closes.

1963: The last goods train passes through Wilsontown

1968: The core of the Wilsontown Ironworks site is designated a scheduled ancient monument due to its value as an example of an integrated ironworks.

1970: Forestry Commission Scotland purchases land containing remains of Wilsontown Ironworks.

1973: Forth Primary school do a study on Wilsontown Ironworks with teacher Sheila Kerr and Donald W Mack. The stables of Wilsontown mansion house still stand.

1974: Forestry Commission Scotland knocks down the remains of the culvert, the arched bridge, and two of the engine houses at Wilsontown Ironworks. Several local people protest and attempt to stop the demolition, including a teacher at Forth Primary School who tries to get an injunction from the Sheriff at Lanark.

1975: Kingshill no. 2 pit closes

1977: The area around the Ironworks is planted with a conifer crop by Forestry Commission Scotland.

The 21st century

2001: The scheduled ancient monument area at Wilsontown Ironworks is extended by Historic Scotland to include more of the features associated with the site, e.g. the 77 bell pits.

2002: Forestry Commission Scotland begins to research the history of Wilsontown Ironworks.

2007: The Wilsontown Ironworks Heritage Project is launched by Forestry Commission Scotland.

2008: The conifers planted on top of the bell pits are being removed by Forestry Commission Scotland.


Assista o vídeo: Formação da Europa Moderna: Dinastia Stuart (Pode 2022).